Sunday, July 24, 2011

Happy Birthday Don Drysdale - Don Drysdale Autograph


The Dodgers recognized Don Drysdale yesterday July 23rd on what would have been his 75th birthday.  His sons Darren & DJ participated in the ceremonial first pitch along with their mother and Drysdale's widow Ann Meyer Drysdale.  Drysdale spent his entire career with the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers (1956-1969).  He was a 9x All Star, 3x World Series Champion, won the Cy Young Award in 1962 and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1984.  He passed away in 1993 while on the road with the Dodgers as one of their broadcasters.

Don Drysdale's autograph was on of the first autographs I ever obtained and to tell you the truth i'm not 100% if I got it at the 1991 National Convention in Anaheim or at another big West Coast show.  I just remember being awed by Drysdale and the strength of his grip when he shook my hand.  Ever since I could remember, my dad would tell me how great it was being a Dodger fan during the 50's & 60's and watching the likes of Drysdale, Koufax, Snider, etc.  So actually getting to meet Big D was a very cool moment and my dad was there to share it with me.

In the two years before that signing we had purchased 3 Don Drysdale baseball cards.  Nothing too spectacular but cards I honestly do cherish.  I haven't collected sports cards seriously since around 1994/1995 but occasionally a card will catch my eye and i'll buy it.

Take a look below at my Drysdale cards and my Drysdale autograph.  More importantly a tip of the cap to Don on what would've been his 75th birthday.

Drysdale 1962 Topps All Star #398

Drysdale 1967 Topps #55

Drysdale 1964 Topps #120

My Drysdale 8x10 displayed with two baseball cards.

True to the Blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment