Monday, July 1, 2013

Dodgers vs Yankees Old Timers Game


I've been out of town for the last week attending some training for work.  While I did have my laptop with me, I didn't post much, except for some info on autograph signings that were going on.  Being that I was out of town (more on that to come in future posts), this post is about three weeks over due!

On June 8, 2013, the Dodgers hosted their Old Timers Game which included several former Dodgers playing a couple of innings against some New York Yankee legends.  My nephew was supposed to go to the game with me as he really wanted one of the 1963 World Series replica rings the Dodgers were giving away.  Unfortunately, he forgot to get the day off from work and missed the game.  I took the opportunity to get to the game early and try my hand at graphing at Dodger Stadium.  For years in the late 80's and early 90's I attended huge card conventions and got my autographs that way.  I left the hobby in the mid 90's and started collecting again around 2008.  I've attended paid signings and free signings in the community but have never graphed at a stadium.

Since it was a last minute decision, I took several old cards from my collection but took no photos and no baseballs.  I bumped into a couple graphers that I've meet over the years, David and Gabe.  Once the Dodgers legends exited their dugout it became obvious they weren't going to sign for the fans near their dugout.  Slowly but surely the group waiting for autographs moved over near the visitors dugout where the Yankee legends were exiting.  Former Dodger Bob Welch was chatting with several players when he recognized some people in the stands that he knew.  He headed over to speak with them and signed for some fans.  I was lucky enough to be in the right spot at the right time and he signed the card you see above. I had a nice spot up against the rail separating the field level seats from the dugout seats near home plate.  Once Welch started signing, I felt several people pushing up against me and must say, it was a very uncomfortable spot to be in.

A few minutes later Darryl Strawberry come up to sign for fans and I was in my same spot and got him to sign the card you see below.  I just missed out on Doc Gooden but was happy to get Welch and Strawberry being it was my first time graphing inside Dodger Stadium.  I'm not sure if there were more people than normal because it was the Old Timers Game but I give much respect you graphers out there that do this regularly.  My patience was tried by all the pushing and shoving and I'm a pretty big dude that can hold my own.  With that being said, I had a good time and was happy to get my two cards signed and my SGA replice 1963 World Series ring.  




True to the Blue!


No comments:

Post a Comment