Monday, February 11, 2013

Jerry West Autograph Signing - Recap & Photos


On Saturday February 9, 2013, Lakers legend Jerry West was scheduled to make an appearance at the Long Beach Expo Coin, Stamp & Sports Collectible Show.  West was scheduled to sign from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. and Magic Johnson was scheduled to sign from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.  I arrived at the Expo around 11:45 a.m. and by the time I made it inside and picked up my tickets from will call it was about 12:15 p.m.  Luckily I had purchased my autograph ticket in advance and they were lining up according to numbers.  The first group called was 1 through 25 and I had #24!

Jerry West was dressed in a suit and tie and was somewhat engaging to fans who spoke to him.  I greeted him with a "hello" and he said "hi" back.  I asked for a Mr. Clutch inscription, he smiled, signed my ball and handed it back to me.  I just thanked him and walked away.  The autograph area was a bit of a madhouse so I was looking forward to getting out of there.

Take a look at some of my pics below.

Jerry West checking out a ball

Jerry West signing my official Spalding NBA game ball

Jerry West autograph with "Mr. Clutch" inscription

As I was getting my ball authenticated by PSA, Magic arrived about a half hour early and started signing for fans.  An interesting moment took place as I walked out of the expo.  Darryl Strawberry walked right passed me with a box of ROMLB balls in his hand.  I followed him back into the expo just in case he was going to set up somewhere and sign.  I was upset with myself that I didn't have any extra baseballs with me like I usually do.  Strawberry walked over to the autograph area and my guess was he was going to have Magic sign a bunch of baseballs for him.  I had to get to another signing, so I didn't stick around and left.

I was very happy to finally get a Jerry West autograph.  I kept debating whether I wanted a HOF inscription or Mr. Clutch.  I even considered a "The Logo" inscription.  I obviously decided on "Mr. Clutch" and I'm happy with the results.

True to the Blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment