Friday, October 26, 2012

Bill Walton Autograph Signing - Recap


Back on September 26, 2012, Bill Walton was scheduled to make an appearance at the OC Sports Grill to promote Azunia tequila.  He was scheduled to be there from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm.  Being that I work 5 minutes away from the OC Sports Grill, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get an autograph from a 2x NBA Champion, a 2x All-Star, 3x Naismith College Player of the Year, and 2x NCAA Champion.  I arrived early at around 5 pm and was surprised to see Walton and one of his handlers getting some supplies out of their car.  I walked into the OC Sports Grill still unsure if he would be signing any and all items.  I was assured by staff there he would sign my basketball and was encouraged to purchase a drink featuring Azunia tequila. I had two margaritas and must say the tequila was pretty good.  As soon as Walton walked in he ordered up some nachos and starting eating.  I was again surprised there weren't a lot of fans waiting in line for a signature.  There were more fans in Angels gear waiting to head over to Angels Stadium than there were to see Bill Walton.

I spotted a veteran of the autograph game Mr. BobbleGraph himself Gabriel from Gabriel and Jareth's Autograph Bobblehead Collection waiting at a table for the signing to get started.  We chatted for a few minutes and decided it was time to go up to Bill Walton and get our autographs.  We saw only one other person getting an autograph.  Walton was kind enough to sign my official NBA Spalding game ball and included a Hall of Fame '93 inscription.  He also signed a flyer promoting the event for me.  He asked if I had any more items and at that moment I wish I had come better prepared.  I only asked him to sign one more flyer for my co-worker who graduated from UCLA and is part of the Bruin faithful.  As time passed more and more people went up for autographs and for photos with the basketball legend.  I noticed some fans even left and went to a nearby Sports Authority to get some basketballs for Mr. Walton to sign.  Over all it was great experience. No drama, no cutting and definitely no long lines!  Take a look at my autographs in the pictures below.

Here's the 8x10 flyer

Here is my official NBA game ball with the Hall of Fame '93 inscription

True to the Blue!





No comments:

Post a Comment